Note: This info. is from Google forums & Printer experts. We don’t hold ourselves responsible for accuracy of information given.
FOR TROUBLE FREE PRINTING ALWAYS USE GENUINE INK & Toner
For New Printers released in past 2 to 3 years & you buy in the future You should Disable automatic PRINTER Firmware Updates (not Windows update) to use compatible inks & toners (If you always use Genuine inks/toners no need to disable as they will always work)
(Older printers you bought before Jan 2018 they RARELY update Firmware)
The Generic/Compatible Inks/Toners for new model printers you bought in past 2 or 3 years May/May not work unless you have disabled (blocked) firmware updates. Once you Disable Updates & always use Generic or Compatible Inks/Toners after disabling, printer should accept them & work.
- When you buy a printer, the printer has a firmware to talk with your PC/Laptop/Mobile application. The Inks & Toners you buy must have same Version Firmware (in the chip) for them to talk with your printer. For many new printers the printer companies update this Firmware & after some updates the current toners in market may not be Recognised due to Firmware Mismatch.
- No one in the world will know of these updates until customers complain their Ink/Toner does not work. We constantly check with the manufacturers for updates & as soon as we come to know we stop selling all inks & toners with earlier version Firmware. Many Traders import in bulk & continue to sell old firmware Inks/toners which will not work. To get Inks/Toners with updated firmware it may take up to 4 months or more & in meantime you have to buy Genuine Inks/Toners spending $$$s
- Buy Inks & Toners as and when you need unless you have Disabled Firmware Updates. If you buy a toner today & try use it after 3 or 4 months and in the meantime a New Firmware gets into your printer, due to Firmware Mismatch the toners will not work and you have to throw the ink/toner in your bin.
For above Reasons & as there are over 700 printers each taking different Inks & Toners we will not be able to take back your left over Inks/Toners when your printer Breaks down even though we would like to help you.
Information on How to Disable Firmware updates
If you would like to watch videos as well on how to do go to our website fivestarink.co.nz
Click on Articles (top of Home Page) & How to Disable Firmware updates
Read through General information & how to disable depending on which printer you have (HP; Epson; Canon; Brother etc)
If you wish to see Video on how to Disable Firmware updates, highlight the link, copy (ctrl & c) & Paste (ctrl & v) relevant link we have given on any browser like internet explorer, google chrome or any browser. Press Enter
Disable automatic Firmware updates. What is firmware?
Your printer has a microprocessor inside – basically a mini computer – that makes it work. The programs running on this microprocessor are called “firmware” as opposed to “software” because they are semi-permanent and are not designed for user interaction.
How and why was it updated?
If your printer is on your WiFi network or is connected by cable to a computer with an internet connection, firmware updates can happen in the background. You won’t be notified before or after the update, and often the only way that you’ll find out that it happened is that your cartridges will stop working. You can turn updates off, but the default setting is “on”. The main effect is to alter their “dynamic security” feature. This controls how the printer talks to cartridges, so if the chip on your cartridge is designed for an older version of the firmware, & A new version Firmware goes into your printer, your printer won’t be able to communicate with the Old Firmware cartridge and will report it as missing or damaged.
Technically the cartridges are fit for the purpose for which they were sold at the time of the transaction, and they don’t work now because of a change in the circumstances (CUSTOMER NOT BLOCKING FIRMWARE UPDATES AS PER INSTRUCTION given at time of purchase DUE TO NEGLIGENCE on the part of the user) in which they are being used, there is no legal requirement for them to be considered faulty under warranty.
Only turn off Printer firmware update (NEVER WINDOWS UPDATE)
All automatic updates can be turned off, but the exact process depends on the age and functionalilty of the printer. Please note that turning off firmware updates will stop any new ones from being applied, but will not reverse the effect of an existing update. THERE ARE SOME WAYS OF REVERSING WHICH EVEN A QUALIFIED PRINTER TECHNICIAN MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW. (Depends on their expertise)
Ways to DISABLE printer driver updates – Many from the printer IP address or from the Printer Display window; from Mobile Application for some; from Windows 7 or 10 or Mac System
●●●●Most reliable is to use the printer’s internal control panel – ●●First FIND THE PRINTERS IP ADDRESS. ●●Next, open a browser tab and type in the printer’s IP address, then turn off “auto update” in the settings menu. For printers with a physical control panel, the same option can be selected from the “update printer” setting here. Some printers may not have the option to do this way. Depending on the Printer Model you have you have to Disable FIRMWARE UPDATES from Printer Display or from Windows 7 or 10
For Video Copy & Paste Below Link to your Browser:
- Connect the printer to network, click “Network” on the printer’s drop-down menu to find the IP address of the printer.
- Open your web browser and input the printer’s IP address,
- Click “Settings” in the menu and then “Security”,
- Then choose “Administrator Settings” and click it,
- Scroll the page to the bottom and find “Printer Updates”, then automatic firmware updates of the printer has been disabled. (or by below method)
- Open Web Services (open internet web browser and type in the printer’s IP address, i.e. 192.168.x.xx for example)
- Open the Settings screen.
- Select Printer Update.
- Select Auto Update. Select the On or Off option (Off to disable)
To find the printer IP address from a Windows machine, perform the foll:
- Start -> Printers and Faxes, or Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes.
- Right-click the printer name, and left-click Properties.
- Click the Ports tab, and widen the first column which displays IP address of the printers (or as below)
Open the Windows Start menu and right-click “Network.” Click “Properties.” Click “View Status” to the right of “Wireless Network Connection,” or ”Local Area Connection” for wired connections. Click “Details” and look for the IP address in the new window.
●●●How to Disable Brother Printer updates from Printer Display
For video copy and paste link to browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiCJd905sI
Step 1: Select the tool icon on the printer display.
Step 2: Select “All Settings”. Click down arrow & select
Step 3: Select “Machine Info.”
Step 4: Select “Firmware Auto Check”
Step 5: Select “Off” to turn off updates”
●●● Disabling automatic HP firmware updates thro printers Control Panel
For video copy and paste link to browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qsOXDlmz5I
Or the link: https://www.cartridgepeople.com/info/hp-firmware-update
Or the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia74SYFXxl0
Click the Dark Blue Bar at the top (The one with Setup; Wifi & Ink drop signs)
- New Menu appears. Click on Setup at the top left of Menu
- The configuration Menu will open – Scroll down to Printer Maintenance
- Click on Printer Maintenance & then “Update the Printer”
- Choose Printer update Options & then Do Not Check
- You will get a Screen. Select “No”
●●● Disabling automatic HP firmware updates via the HP Smart app
- Click the printer image on the home screen.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Click Tools.
- Click Printer Updates and click Firmware Updates.
- Select “Do not check for updates” and click Apply.
●●● Disabling automatic Canon firmware updates via printers Control Panel
- For video copy and paste link to browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWS8KWij_8
- Select the “Setup” on Printer Display. Select “Settings”
- Select “Device Settings”. Touch “Firmware Update”
- Select “Update Notifications” settings. Select “No” to turn off Firmware Updates.
●●●Disabling Firmware Updates for Epson Printers
For video copy and paste link to browser:
- Right click on the Epson Printer Icon on your Windows Task Bar
- Select the “Software Upgrade Settings” from the list
- Select the “Never Option” and then “OK” to save the settings
●●●How to Disable Automatic Printer Driver Updates on Windows 10 (NOT WINDOWS UPDATE). Procedure may differ depending on which version)
For video copy and paste link to browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5tsHSbXe8
Note: THIS WILL DISABLE DRIVER UPDATES FOR ALL DEVICES CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. IF YOU WANT TO MANUALLY UPDATE YOU CAN DO.
- Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Make your way to System and Security; Click System
- Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar; Select the Hardware Tab
- Press the Device Installation Settings button.
- Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.
●●●How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 7 – NOT WINDOWS 7 UPDATE (Procedure may slightly differ depending on which version)
For video copy and paste link to browser:
- Click Start, type devices & Printers in the search box, & then click Devices & Printers
- All the devices connected to the computer are listed including Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, Printer and so on.
- Under Devices Right Click on the icon for Computer (May show user PC) & then click Device Installation Settings
- A new window pops up asking you whether you want Windows to download driver software. Click to select No, let me choose what to do, select Never install driver software from Windows update, and then click Save Changes
- Click yes, when you are prompted for confirmation